Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, February 7, 2007




What an amazing day it has been! In the eyes of the Chinese government, Xi Meng Jiao became Ellie MengJiao Hill. Everything is now official and we are waiting until next Tuesday for the officials to prepare passports. It was relatively painless today. Ellie had her footprints recorded and some gov. official asked us a few questions. We almost flunked the first question as we weren't sure when we got married. Steve had a completely blank look on his face. we got it figured out and went on to the next. we must have passed the quiz as they granted us our adoption certificate.

Ellie has had an awesome day! She slept pretty well last night and woke up happy this morning. She is starting to eat and drink so I think she is becoming more secure with us. Her nickname is peanut, but she is so full of energy. She loves to chatter and it is like she has always been with us. She is comfortable with all of us and enjoys being held and snuggled. Right now she is sitting on her dad's lap and they are playing go fish with Bailey. She has giggled quite a bit today, and will be crawling in no time. She can clap her hands and is very good at patty cake.

It has been rainy and overcast here today so we have basically hung out in the motel. Another rainy day scheduled for tomorrow, so we might all take a cab to a large shopping mall and see if we can find any bargains!

we are all ready to come home, but we have 10 more days left! we have been very careful with what we eat and drink, so luckily we have avoided any stomach ailments so far. we hope our luck continues!

Steve and I walked through an open market today and saw fried rat on a stick and birds with their heads still attached without feathers. It was nice that Bialey stayed with Gramma Melinda and Ellie while we were out doing the tourist thing. When she is out and about it causes quite a comotion. She is very brave about strangers coming up to her and taking her picture. It is the craziest thing I have ever seen! She asked if we could dye her hair black for the rest of the trip.

Hoping this finds everyone healthy and happy!
Good night!
Gretchen

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your girls are beautiful! Yet again you have more waiting this time for the trip home. I always said you had the patience of Jobe. I'm so glad you all are adjusting so quickly. When there is love all around it is felt by everyone making each comfortable and creating happiness. B&J, lewistown

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are better than waiting for a special present!!! Wow! we check during the night and each morning!! What a gift--thank you!! All of a sudden the anxiety and disappointments are over and the blessing is here! She is just perfect-and Bailey you are looking so fine in China Land!! Stay safe and healthy until we can hug on each of you-our love, gma and gpa in Lewistown

Anonymous said...

What a blessing!! She is so precious. "HI" MOM you look great. Looks like you are enjoying every minute. I'm thinking that Kylee is a little bigger then Ellie. Like 8 pounds!! crazy! Love to all, stay safe! Curt, Wendy,Derek and Kylee
p.s Steve, did you come up with a team yet for the first race?

Snutbag said...

Hello Hill Family!!! The boys (along with Jess and I) are so thrilled to have a new cousin/niece in the family; she is absolutly beautiful and precious. We can't wait to see all of you and send all of our love your way. She may be Peanut to you; but she'll always be Paddy to me!!! Bailey, don't dye your hair; just charge 5 bucks for every picture and 10 if they want to pet your head!!!

The "Iowa" Moore's

Anonymous said...

How fun this is to be on your trip with you and see your beautiful baby and her big sister. We are so excited for you and come home safe. m&k lewistown

Anonymous said...

You are blessed to have two little dolls in your family now! I work downstairs from your mother (at the Library) and am so happy for all of you to finally get Elle as your daughter and sister! Can't wait to read more!
Honey Little

Anonymous said...

Hello my name is Catina Vasquez and I have been looking at your new adorable daughter's pictures. It must be just great to know that you have her and your changing and helping someone. Hope you are enjoying your very different experience in China. Also, the different culture. How exciting!! As for Bailey it must be very strange for her to have people wanting to touch her hair all the time. She is very strong & brave to let people touch her hair. Hope you have fun with your new daughter. She is so cute!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Catina is my friend. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am Lisa, Sherry and Sonja's Mom.
Congratulations!! I already love your baby girl and think she is beautiful. I please want to see meet her when she comes to Lewistown. Su

Anonymous said...

Gretchen & family-

I am so very happy for you. I keep up on you and your family through my sis and Tara. What a lucky little girl Ellie is to have you guys as parents. I always admired your way with children, Gretchen. I wish I had even a quarter of your patience!!! Ask my family(:
I hope you have a nice trip back home!

Jodi Pedersen
Plentywood MT

Anonymous said...

The Hill Family WOW What a exciting time I have been reading the blog everyday. It feels my heart with so much happiness and joy to follow along this journey with you.little baby ellie is beautiful.wishing you all a magical and wonderful stay in china. brad lorrie & hayley johnson

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
Our new cousin looks beautiful. Jake would like to know if you guys learned any chinesse words there. Congradulations!! Brylee would like to know if Bailey is having fun. Love Zach, Jake, Brylee

Anonymous said...

Steven, Gretchen, Bailey, and Ellie-- We can't tell you how happy we are for all of you. What a wonderful, precious, and beautiful blessing Ellie is. She is so blessed to be placed in such a loving, caring family. We can't wait to meet her in person. Congratulations one and all! RnB Wolt, Lewistown

Anonymous said...

i have read all your blogsthats about all i can do on this machine but your baby is lovely lavoy

Anonymous said...

Gretch!

I'm so proud of you! That squating training we went through at Tiny's University really paid off for your momentous trip to China!
Betty and I are getting more excited by the day, we can't wait to see you guys, and we can't wait to meet our new neice! And Bails, I agree w/ Uncle Snuts, you really need to start charging them for pictures...geesh, make some cashola! Gretch, you are also quite the writer...just love reading the great adventure you are on! You are all in our Prayers!!! Love, Pie (aka Tara Stewart, Billings MT)

Anonymous said...

Hi from washington, Ellie is so cute. we can't wait to see her. HI MOM yes I have been walking up early to see the newest pictures and even looking every day at work. I was reading the comments and crying because they touched my heart.(a little emotional latly) Kaden said to me Why do you have tears mom? I said that i was very happy for our family in Idaho. we love you guys and hope you have a safe trip back!
Love Jami Jason and Kaden and 1/2

Anonymous said...

Gretchen and Steve,
Your mom shared your blog address with me and I have been enjoying your journey with Ellie. I just wanted to say congratulations to your entire family. You have truely had and are still having an amazing journey. She is beautiful and a blessing to your family as your family is to her. Congratulations and thank you for sharing such a personal journey so we can all enjoy. LWise

Anonymous said...

Hello Hill Family,
Bethie shared your blog sight with us and we have truly enjoyed every day! It is always exciting to go on a trip but to China and to bring home your new baby girl What could be better?!!
We are so very excited for you all and can't wait to see her in person. The photos you have posted are so adorable. I know Bethis and Tara are so excited to get to see her.
We pray that your journey continues to be safe and full of awesome memories.
Bailey, More power to the blonds!!!
All or our love,
Jay, Mary, Alissa and Paul