Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, February 12, 2007












Today we toured the temple of Lord Bao. He was born over 1000 years ago in the city of Hefei and was very popular with the common people. He was a real humanitarin and very fair. To this day, his distant relatives come to the temple on his birthday every year to honor him. He saved many from the guillotine (pictured). He had two wives and two children. The wax museum that portrayed some of their llife together was incredible. Very, very fascinating! On the way to the temple, we passed a few signs to keep off the grass. (double click on picture to see what the signs said- to funny!) this is where we also saw the three legged monkey on a leash.


We did a little walking tour and found the Football Restraunt. Outside of that was where that meat was hanging. Lunch anyone? The Budweiser Bar was right next to it.

Also pictured is Ellie's friend Sadie. Sadie is one day older than Ellie, but she is quite a bit bigger. You can tell how bundled she is, it was probably 50 today so she was plenty warm. sadie's new home is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania which is the home of the little league world series.

Alea is 18 month old and she was napping today so she missed the tour. She will live just outside of Washington DC. Alea's mom is from Indonesia and her dad is Cuba. we hope to get the girls together for many pictures now that Sadie and Alea are feeling better.

We are all feeling good, except becoming a little homesick. Bailey has had cabin fever the last couple of days, so Steve took her to the park today and they played ball and blew bubbles. It seemed to make the aternoon better for her. We leave for Guangzhou tomorrw and we are excited! It will be in the high 80's there so we can't wait. we leave here at 4 and should arrive there around 6. We will stay in the White Swan hotel. (google it- it is quite amazing!)

Thank you for all of the comments! we check the blog frequently to see who has checked in.

See you soon!
Gretchen

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep willing you all more and more patience as I'm sure the waiting gets hard. On the move again and one more day closer to home. The 80's temp sounds devine to me as it is snowing here and cold. AS ALWAYS GREAT PICS!B&J,lewistown

Anonymous said...

GREAT PICURES !!!!! IT LOOKS LIKE BAILEY HAS MADE SOME NEW FRIENDS. WE ALL CAN'T WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE BACK. TELL BAILEY THAT WE WILL HAVE TO HAVE A BIG SHOW AND TELL WHEN YOU COME TO MONTANA!!!! LOVE TO ALL KARLEEN

Anonymous said...

hey guys! you all look great! Don't see the pic of Ellie and her friend?? How intresting to see some history of China a 1,000 years ago.WOW!! Was that guys beard real in that one pic? Crazy! Cold here in Bozeman, we got a 1/2 foot of snow last night. Love to all! wendy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures!!! Never seen a three legged monkey on leash before. You all look great, it's seems like you have been gone forever. The White Swan hotel looks fabulous hope you brought your swimsuits! Have a great day!
Jansie

Anonymous said...

Hello Hills!

I sure hope you don't eat that hanging meat. It looks like cat or something! GROSS. Betty and I are counting the days to come and see you. It will be fun for all! TA TA for now. Safe trip to the tropics...hopefully there won't be any hanging meat there...cuz it is too warm. You are in our prayers!! Love, Pie

Anonymous said...

Mom, Dad, and Sis Bails,
Scoobey again, checking in. The neighbor came and bailed me out, so all is good. I made sure I didn't drop the soap at the pound. There were some rough breeds in there. And, the neighbor told me I will have a new sister when I get home. I'm excited to smell her diapers!! Just hanging out at home, trying to clean up the place before gma and gpa get here...Bark Bark, Love, Scoobey/ Hurry Home! I miss you all!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Hill,

I'm concerned, and my regional manager is also very concerned, because we haven't met our monthly quota with you gone. Hopefully you can order double the amount of tortellini and corn dogs when you get back.

Have a safe trip home,
Schwans Man

Anonymous said...

Hello Friends,
Great stories and pictures that you share. So enjoy them. I think all of us are homesick for you guys. I'm so excited to greet and welcome little Ellie to her new friends and family. Bailey, you are such a doll and a good sport for all of this. What a good big sister you already are! Hurry home! Miss you a lot!
Love-Betty

Anonymous said...

It is 7 above and about a foot of snow--12 feet in a part of New York!! I think I saw octopus tenticles on the clothes line-LaVoy thought it was fish-Dad thought squid or maybe I think it is a slab of pork faded out!! We are so excited for you to fly this pm to Guangzou--more to so see there. The place looks so fine!!! Scoobey is an incredible writer--he has learned alot since you've been gone! You will love the 80 degree days-only 5 more nights and you are HOME! our love, gma and gpa

Unknown said...

Wow. We are so excited to see all of you. We sent a very special package to Miss Bailey and Miss Ellie Hill today from G & G Bradley in Lewistown. Your blog is awesome and the pics of Bailey and Ellie show us love already. We just talked to the real G & G Moore and they are bring hugs and loves to Kuna from us to all of you. Love Ed and Linda

Anonymous said...

It is almost time for you to leave to go to the airport--Good-Bye Hefei--safe travel and safe flight. I've been snooping around in your room at the White Swan--one of the finest in the WORLD! mostly like the food menus that are available!! Hang on-love, mom

Anonymous said...

Howdy!! We've been reading your blogs, thought about commenting, got scared due to our technological deficiencies,looked at each other, and decided to go for it. (not IT!!, but a comment. Gretchen!!) Sounds like you are filling all your spare moments as you should. Like many others that have left comments, your readings are filling our days with laughter, and tears, and prayers, and the anticipation of seeing you back home. (How long can you actually make a blog be?) Besides learning to write, Scooby has turned into quite a cow dog. He has been over nearly every day fixing some cow dilemma for us. Don't worry... the scent au bovine only lasts in your carpets for a mere 75 weeks! Love, Brian and Joan

Anonymous said...

Hi!

What an amazing adventure! Jamie finally told me about your blog - I've been reading it every day before work. And, then, I emailed the blogsite to Ted('cause he wanted it, too!!) and to some other church people. We can't wait to see Ellie in person! Keep up the blog work - it's so interesting. have fun....
Nancy & Jamie Holaday

Anonymous said...

Dear VALENTINES!!
Today is your Valentine celebration and tomorrow is ours. Guess you are celebrating with Ellie's physical and the great weather in Guangzou. We think you had a great time when you arrived at the White Swan last night-perhaps about 7pm. WOW! all that luggage to a new spot-but you are coming close to the end. Our love to each of you, Steve, Gretchen, Bailey, Ellie and Melinda--from gma and gpa Moore

Daivd and Lynnette said...

Some of these comments just crack me up. You have some very funny people in your lives. It is a treat to know that so many people care and love you. We look foward to hearing you are home safe. We are white with snow and awaiting the 20-30 below they predict. I just wonder if the the wind will blow! Enjoy the wonderful warm weather and your last days in China. Love Lynnette

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Hope all is well at the Beautiful motel. Can't wait to see all of you. A few more days!! MOM- get Kylee a few pairs of those squeaky shoes that they sell there if you can. They are cute and squeak when you walk on them.I'm sure Gretchen knows. Derek wanted me to tell you that he wants you to get him some "Heeleys"!I think he thinks you are in Boise!! Silly kid! Both have colds and Kylee is getting two teeth at once.Its been fun around our house!!!!!! Happy Valentines Day!!!!!
Love-Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi--Scoobey here--I know you must be having FUN and FROLIC because it is the first day you have not blogged and I'm blogged out because of it--but I will wait. I've learned patience from my family. Be safe and HURRY home.
Your one and only DOG-Scoob

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy Valentine's Day to all of you. By the time you read this it will probably be Valentine's Day! You have 80 degree weather in China! Enjoy!! This morning, 2-13, 2007, it was about 9 below zero with a windchill of 26 below zero in Opheim, MT. It was cold. I noticed that it was 3 degrees at 3:00 p.m. I think tomorrow it is suppose to be 20 below zero. Your pictures of China have been great. I am still amazed to see all of the meat just hanging on a wire until they are ready to use it. Doesn't it spoil and stink when it's 80 degrees? I know that when Walt gets a deer, they sometimes hang it in the garage for a few days before it gets cut up, but then it's usually 30 degrees or colder in the garage! Are there any animals that run around the streets? I would be worried about flies and stuff too!
Hope you get to see many more things while you are in China. I have enjoyed all of the pictures,etc, because it has made me feel like I've been on a little vacation to China!! Thanks again for sharing all of your excitement with us. Walt says hi to all of you!!
Take care and may God bless you in special ways. Love ya, Walt & Debbie.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Just learned how to do thislast night at Nancy's. Happy Valentines Day to you all. What an experience you are having, I cannot imagine!!!!!! Ellie is so cute and I can tell you Love her to death. Excited
to see you all soon. Enjoy the moment!!!! Love and Prayers B. Brown

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines day to you all! I'm missing you and your pictures. Hope everything has gone well on your move. Just think only a few more days and you will be home. Thinking of you all. B&Jlewistown