Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, February 10, 2007

We have had another great day! The trip to the museum was interesting. There was no heat, but great sites. There were many small artifacts that were in the tombs of noble birth.

Words of wisdom....when in China do not dial 55 for room service. That is what we dialed and an hour and a half later Steve went looking for our food. There is a BIT of a language barrier but with the help of Filmore (karioke singer who speaks very good English) our food was delivered 20 minutes later. This morning we discovered that we did not call room service, but housekeeping! The funny part is after Steve placed the order the maid came and looked puzzled so she left. We now know the correct nuber, but it has provided us with a laugh all day.

Chinese workers pick an American name so the foreigners can pronounce it. So there are lots of Michaels (after Michael Jordan)Janes, Stevens, Grace, but we are not sure why Filmore was picked! Filmore's job at the motel is to teach the emoplyees English. His night job is entertainment in the bar. His singing is really good- Gordie, he even sang an Eagles tune. we thought of you!!!

After the museum, guide Jane and I got of the travel bus and went shopping for smaller clothes for Ellie. That was a fun experience. She snapped her fingers and the workers came running over. Within 7 minutes, I had 5 outfits and 2 pairs of socks. Jane and I were going to walk back to the hotel, but she spied a cab and took off running trying to catch it. I ran to catch up and we hopped in the cabbie as he was pulling away from the curb. The others came home on the bus and the driver missed the hotel so he turns the bus around in the middle of the road having to back up blocking four lanes of traffic. Insane!

Ellie has had another fantastic day. She slept really well last night and wakes up smiling and giggling. She is a great growler and hair puller. Bailey really appreciates that!

Steve, Melinda and I spend most of our time laughing about all of the crazy experiences we have had here. And it takes all of us to keep Ellie from rolling off the bed. she acts like a sumo wrestler and is all over the place.

Steve and Bailey tried either squid or octopus this morning. (we were not sure which one it was) The breakfast buffet offers a wide variety of food from baked beans to fried tomatoes, to rice krispies. A little something for everyone!

Love to all-
Gretchen





This afternoon we all went to a museum of the history of the Anhui province. We were there around a hour. After that we all went to a park to walk around and breath in the Hefei air. It is so rough you can feel it going in. Here is a shot of the wonderful world of split pants (after diapers and during potty training). I also took a couple of pix's of some animals strung on strings above a restraunt.. The first is some sort of bird or animal the other is some fish(fuzzy).

Steve

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bit more snow here but not too cold so we are all doing just fine. Bailey, you look so fine-I love your pink Bronco hat and gloves!! Little one looks like CUTSIE in your stroller. One week from today and we'll be greeting you at the Boise Airport--Can't WAIT!! PLEASE, stay healthy and so very happy! Gosh, it's a dream that all has gone well plus FUN. I saw on the web page they have ANTIQUE Malls in Hefei!! Bet their antiques are 100's if not 1000's of years old. Like that fish on the string above the restaurant!! our love,mom and dad

Daivd and Lynnette said...

It is so fun to check this page every morning. How nice it will be for you to breath some nice clean air when you get home. We are so happy for all of you. Ellie is a lucky girl. Bailey you look great. After the pictures of the fish and birds, I'd stick with beef at Mcdonalds. Be safe, love David and Lynnette, Loren ,Luke and Leah

Anonymous said...

Good morning! Steve, Gretchen, Bailey, Ellie, and Melinda. Well, it's about 10:30 a.m. here! I'm suppose to be working on getting all of my bookwork and taxes up to date. Haven't gotten much accomplished this morning. Walter is helping one of the guys from Northern Electric move into a different house today, so he will be gone most of the day.
I Thought I'd drop you guys a note! I haven't used our computer much when it comes to sending messages,etc. This has been fun to check to see how things are going with your family! I could not see any fish or birds in the pictures.....Even had out the magnifying glass to look at the pictures! Then, I accidentally clicked on the pictures and they got bigger!! Wow! What computers can do. I think I would go to McDonalds, too. Don't think I would take any chances on eating fish and birds in China for lunch! It's 14 degrees in Opheim today. A little chilly because there is wind, too. You'll have to find some kind of antique to bring home for your mom and dad for their "heritage room"! Something that is easy to bring home is fabric. If you can find at least 1/4 yard of 100 per cent cotton fabrics from China, (a total of one yard of different colors would be great)they could be added to other fabrics from the U. S. to make a baby quilt for Ellie and a lap quilt for Bailey.They would be great keepsakes that could be used. If you have any opportunity to find fabric, I would pay you for it when you get home. Ask Bailey to pick out bright colors! I am planning to make the girls each a quilt but think the China fabric would be fun to include! It sounds like all of you are having a great time! Take care and may God bless you in special ways. Love, Walter and Debbie

Anonymous said...

Gretch:

Betty is on the phone w/ me, and we need to let you know that Anna Nicole Smith died. (we need to keep you up on your celebrity news) We think she O.D. on some pain pills, or someone killed the rich bitch.
We are also wondering if the mama's (you, me and Betty) would have to wear the split pants over there, in China, because we are also potty trained. Hope this gives you giggles. See you in one week FRIEND! Love, Pie and Betty

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom and Dad, and sis Bailey.
I'm doing okay at home...digging holes in the backyard, trying to dig to China, to find my way to my family. Where the heck did you guys go? You said you were going out for Chinese, but you have been gone for a week now. GEEZ. BARK BARK. (thought I heard the Schwan's Man). Well, things are boring here...I hope you don't mind what I did to the chair...hurry home, I'm out of Scoobey Snacks. Love, Scoobey Hill (your long lost dog)

Anonymous said...

Steve, Gretchen, Bailey, and Ellie,
I'm home for the weekend from the frozen north (Turner) where I'm doing a six week sub job and it's the first I've gotten to read your blog for awhile. We are both so happy for you. She is a real doll-baby! You all look great. We love you and will keep you in our prayers.
Lynette & Brian