LIONS AND TIGERS AND TAXIS OH MY!!!!!
Today has been fun filled starting with Bailey and I venturing out by ourselves to one crazy experience trying to flag down a taxi. Just us two girls ventured out. We feel very safe here as people are always smiling and willing to help. Anyway, the traffic is undescribable and here comes this van right at us honking. They appeared to be security guards (or at least played the part) and they are unrolling their windows. Of course, I think we are going to be arrested for crossing the street when we weren't supposed to. Oh no, that is not the case at all. One starts screaming out the window "Oh BYOOTIFULLL Girl" I wave back and he yells, "no, not you, the young one". It was so funny. But, it freaked Bailey out enough that we hurried back to the motel. So now when we go out she thinks her dad needs to be with her. Go figure-
This afternoon it was raining and we decided to get out of the room and go to a super market so our guide writes a note to the bellman to get us a taxi with the directions on it. We get to the market fine. (four stories with the first one being a mall and the grocery store at the top. Luckily you just hold onto your cart while going up the escaltor. The fish department was interesting. Live fish that people were picking out and handling then throwing bak in the tank, eels, turtles and toads. The smell was horrible- more than I could stand. (worse than the smell of lutefish- you Norweigions know what I am talking about!) we decide to come back to the motel and an english speaking worker tells us where to stand to get a taxi.. remember that it is RAINING. We go to the designated spot, and the wait begings. A man feels sorry for us so he giave Bailey is umbrella. steve is desprately trying to flag down a taxi but they were all full. Another man who spoke a little bit of English tells us that he will help us get one and he walks out in the middle of the street with busses, cars, bikes, fruit and vegetable carts, and mopeds alll zooming by. I could not beleive my eyes!! He doesn't have any luck so he sends his friend up the street to try and find an empty taxi. (you must remember that it is still raining.) Now his friend is out in the middle of the road as people are honking and swerving to avoid hitting him. The first helper started chasing after a taxi. then someone tells us we are not standing in the right spot, so we move and the helper comes with us. He happens to have a cell phone so he called our guide and steve talked to her on the phone. She was on the other side of the city, so she couldn;t help us and tells him to wait another half and hour! By this time Bailey is about ready to have a melt down because she is wet and cold and hungry. just then, the friend up the street literally stopped a taxi by chasing after it and the taxi comes to where we are. I have never been so releived in my whole life. Our shoes and coats were soaking wet. So after 45 minutes we got a taxi and the helpers would accept no money. If it weren't for them we would still be there. Mass chaos is the only word I can use to describe it- we have laughed about the situation all afternoon. And we are so thankful to the two men that helped us. And to think that Ellie missed it all because she was asleep on my shoulder. She had a snow suit on and a blanet over the top of her so she was the only dry one. quite a day!
Everyone is doing great. We are seeing more of Ellie's personality each day. She is so cute we can hardly stand it! She has 4 teeth on the bottom, 2 on top and 2 more are coming through.
Until tomorrow-
Gretchen
Thursday, February 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
What an experience for all of you. It sounds like a scene straight out of a mission impossible movie. I'm so glad you are able to keep your sense of humor. I enjoy visiting with Gam Doris each day also. Luv to you all JO/lewistown
What an amazing adventure for all of you! Bailey- all of your classmates want your blond hair now! They think you are a celebrity! Maybe when you get back- everyone will be blonde!! We are thinking of you everyday!
Love your classmates and Mrs. Dines
She's ADORABLE!!!!! I think thats the cutest baby I've ever seen :D by the way I'm Danni your mother helps me up at the library :) just wanted to send my thoughts and I hope you guys have a GREAT time!
Peace out
Danni
Dear Bailey,
Boy the stories you are going to have to tell when you get back to school!! Does Ellie get to go with you to school one day for Show and Tell? I wish I could be there to hear all you have to tell your classmates. I am sure standing in the rain was no fun, but when you read what mom had to say it sounds pretty crazy.
Love to you all...Solbergs
Gretchen ... how thrilling for you three, your families, and us too ... Ellie truely looks like a "china doll" ... so precious ... and Bailey you too are an amazing girl ... all of us here at the Learning Center excitedly read the stories each day ... your comments are terrific!!! Gloris
Gretchen your journal is great! I can totally see you guys standing there just a waiting for a ride. You should of started throwing dollars bills out on the ground and maybe someone would of stopped. You made Curt and I laugh for 20 mins. Give the girls a love for us!!! A love to my mom too!!
wendy
p.s. don't forget a purse "mom"
o and by the way steve curt is buying two teams this year so he can keep up with you!!!!! Great, look what you started!!
wendy
Hello! This is Tootsie and Dad, I am at the house and we are reading the letters from Gretchen. Dad calls me every morning at 7:00 am to see if there is a new comment. Then after school I come over and we read the story. The first night I had to leave before dad could read it becasue he said that he was going to cry. I think that he has cried everytime I read him something new. Dad is good, he says that he lost 10 pounds becasue he doesn't eat and the he is feeding the dogs rice crispy treats for snacks. All is good with me. I think that I have showed all of my teacher friends picture and they all love her too. Ellie is so adourable. She is just the perfect little girl. We all can't wait to see her. Love you guys!
I forgot I am suppose to tell Mom hi and I love you from dad! Dad and I just can't stop crying, we talked to Jami and she just cries too. We are just so excited and can't wait to see you guys!!!Love, Tootsie
Hi Hills! Congrats on the new addition to your family, she is sooooo cute! Bailey, she's lucky to have a big sister like you too. I love reading your blogs. They make me cry. Your family is beautiful. Take care and have a safe trip home. Much love to you all...Jamie Solberg, Denver.
I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ELLIE, AND TALK TO YOU WHEN YOU RETURN. I THOUGHT STEVE WOULD HAVE LEARNED BY NOW TO COME IN OUT OF THE RAIN, EVIDENTLY THAT LESSON WILL COME LATE. TAKE CARE, SEE YOU WHEN YOU RETURN, STEVE MILLER.
Post a Comment