Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Good evening from Hefei, Anhui!
I willtry and recap as much of today as I can... when we got to the rooms where the babies were, I recognized Ellie right away because of her hair. It is WILD!! The orphanage director was holding her and all three babies were very calm. (Our other travel mates are couples from Pennsylvania and Washington D.C.) Ellie came right to us and she looked so big! we than realized that she had four layers of clothes on, the last layer resembling a snow suit. (It was 72 degrees) She was just a pool of sweat. (The Chinese beleive that many layers of clothing will prevent sickness) One of the babies in our group is 17 months old and when her nanny passed her over to her parents, the nanny started crying and so did the baby. It was such a bittersweet feeling- I know they loved the babies so much. The nanny had to leave the room because she was so upset. This only made us realize how much they truly love these little girls and they do the best job they can with the very few resources that the orphanges have. Ellie so far has not cried, I know that she must be in total shock. She loves Bailey's hair and reaches out to try and touch it.She is VERY petitie, maybe 16 pounds. She can sit up and roll over, she can bear wight on her legs but would rather just sit and babble. She has eaten very little since we got her, but that is to be expected. She slept for a couple of hours this evening but is now up for play time.

The city where we are staying is the capital of the province. There are three million people that live here, yet they call it a rural area. Many dirt roads and lots of poverty. Friday the other couples will go and visit the orpahanage. I am going to stay at the motel with all the babies. I may regret my decision not to go, but emotionally it would kill me and I am better off not to be there. It is two hours one way on a dirt road, very poor orphanage with a well that is starting to dry up and no money for another one. They have been hauling in water for quite a while.

Today we go back to the government office for our official interview and then it is a free day to just play and giggle. (or maybe even a nap!) We will post more pictures this evening.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. what an awesome thought to be half way around the world yet feel so much love and support from you.

P.S. In these picures Ellie has on split pants, once you are potty trained you wear these without any underwear and just go to the bathroom anywhere. Imagine Bailey's suprise when at the grocery store yesterday a little child just squated and peed. And yes, one of the pictures below is of a squatty potty. Most nice restraunts and hotels, airports, and some offices have western toilets, but the majority are squaters. The four star squatters even have toilet paper!)

I think I will try and get Ellie back to bed now.

God is great and life is great!!!!
Gretchen

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve, Gretchen and Bailey...Ellie is truly beautiful! And the hair is pretty wild! We are anxious to meet her and make her a part of the church family. Blessings. Jody

Anonymous said...

Gretchen, Steve and Bailey --

Thank you for allowing us to follow this journey with you. I can see your joy in the pictures and I'm so incredibly happy for you. I couldn't wait to get on the computer this morning to hear and see more. Continued blessings on your trip and journey home.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the Hill Family! What an awesome event! Your blog has brought tears of joy rolling down my cheeks at your exciting family adventure. I wish you comfort and happiness this week as you all adjust. I can't wait to see your new darling, she looks so adorable! Love to you all!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your family. I have tears of joy for you. Thanks for sharing your journey. I am so happy for you. God bless you as you continue your journey. Love and friendship.

Katie, Jere, Allie, and Elaine

Anonymous said...

Ellie is sure cute! It looks like you are off to a great start as a family of 4. We look forward to meeting Ellie and having her and Audrey play together!